Friday 4 July 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

Well the movie was quite interesting but hugely emotional. The plot was quite simple, but complex at the same time. From what I could gather it was initially suggested that one of the lovers, which I will outline in due course, was dying of cancer. However as I rightly pointed out, it was actually both of em. Hazel(Woodley) is dieiing of cancer. Not sure the exact medicinal name. She has an Oxygen Tank to help her around. When she was a kid, she had an episode whereby her lungs were fluidly. She is being put on tablets as an experiment to absorb the fluid in her lungs. So afterwards, we see that she is highly depressed and her Mom suggests a Cancer Support group in an Episcopal church. Here she meets Gus(Augustus Waters - what a lovely name)(Elgort). He's some babe alrite. So precious. He too is dying of cancer. We are introduced with him as in he comes in with a mate of his Isaac(Wolfff). He too has a medical condition, in his case the Eyes. He eventually goes blind. Gus however is dying. His cancer has affected his leg and hence has a Prosthetic leg. Isaac's girlfriend Monica dumps him when he goes fully blind, sighting she can't deal with a person being blind. Gus and Hazel go out with each other and develop romantic feelings for each other. He uses a lovely metaphor with cigarettes. He is about to light the cigarette. He continues that if he DOESN'T light the cigarette that the cancer cannot be made worse "You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing. A metaphor.". So it is revealed that Hazel is book reader ie a book worm. She has this particular book that's of interest to her. She wants to head on over to Amsterdam, where the Author  is living. The scene of where Gus was on the plane and was told that was "his first time". I said to my friend, I can totally sympathize with him. As the plane was taking off, I felt I was actually on the plane. It went right through me. I just have a fear of flying especially with the taking off. Even the thought of it, makes me wanna vomit. I just can't handle it. Ill prob need Valium to control my anxiety. As Gus was taking off, on the plane, I felt his pain and excitement, I was the same. When the plane was moving, he was smiling and excited and likewise myself. When the plane reveed up to take off, He started to get anxious like me. Gus was so me(ahem the plane scene that is). Then he said about the scenery looking out the window. Yep you guessed it. Same with me. Shame I couldn't take pics on the plane. I think these days, you can. Then shortly afterwards they arrived safe and sounds in Amsterdam. They came across Peter Van Houten(Dafoe) who is the book author that Hazel is madly in love with. She wanted to know the ending of the book. He insulted her to the hills with particular reference to her illness. I was so crushed to hear such words. That she is " failed experiment in mutation." HE was such an ass. Gus reveals to Hazel that his cancer has come back with a vengeance. And hence he set up a "Pre-Funeral". He wants her to read a eulogy. Sadly Gus passed away. The cancer ate up his heart, previously his legs went. The scene where she was crying her eyes, lots of emotions came to mind. Namely my mom's death(which obv hasn't occurred) and my exs breakup as my heart was giving out to me  with  the  stress  of  the breakup. 

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2582846/

No comments:

Post a Comment